Sunday 23 November 2008

4 years of WoW (From Thog's Blog 23/11/2008)


Hi folks and I'll just kick off with "Aren't Death Knights fantastic?!?" - I just started mine last night, and I am seriously loving it, very very cool character.
Right, I'm going to go a little nostalgic today, after all WoW has been going for 4 years (my god, has it really been that long?) so it's a decent opportunity for me to reminisce.
Before WoW I was always of the opinion "Internet gaming? Something you have to pay for EVERY month instead of just up front? No way!!". Then one night, after having a curry with college mates, I went round Shadow's house (you know who you are) to see this game where he ran around killing things with a warlock.
I was absolutely hooked.
At the time, WoW had just come out and there was shortages of the game all over Europe, I guessed (rightly) that no one would try WH Smith for a copy of it, and got the last copy there. Toys R Us was another place to get a copy, I guess none of the 6 year olds trolling round the toy superstore quite got the drift of dancing with a murloc.
At the time we didn't even have broadband, so for the first month or two I played WoW with an average lag of 1200 on a 56k modem. I didn't care.
But after about a year on and off playing it, I quit. After one long LAN party (i20 maybe? i24?) I never played again. And for the next year, I didn't touch it.
Then I went back. And made a Hunter. And the rest is (fairly unimportant) history!
How did you get into WoW? What were your first memories of it? Comment my blog and let me hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog