Sunday 2 February 2014

YouTube Interviews #2 - Brutall


The next in our series of interviews with YouTubers features the one and only Brutall, an awesome YouTuber who is attracting subscribers like bees to honey. His videos are entertaining, informative and often inspirational, as he talks about being a World of Warcraft Guild Master, his new exercise regime, and anything else important to him. He is an amazingly prolific creator, very charismatic, a beard owner, and overall just a really nice guy!  His commitment to producing a video a day for the entire year is quite scary to someone like me who has to push himself to release one a week.

Brutall, in the past 4 months you've released something like 140 videos on YouTube. You are the Guild Master of Static, a horde guild on Arthas-US - which means it's automatically better than Alliance because all those poncy humans and gnomes have it easy - a guild that has completed all raid content currently available. You're involved in the podcast Set To Heroic, and if your videos are accurate you are also starting off a hardcore health kick involving a lot of gym work, apparently in the middle of the night. Obviously it's great that you've obtained a time machine so can I get a ride?


As of right this moment, it's actually "only" 122 - but hey, it won't be much more than a couple of weeks and I'll be at 140! I love being a guild leader, and a representative to the community, even if I am only a very small fish in an incredibly large ocean, and being Horde is just common sense. ;) My free time is becoming increasing more rare, and I find myself wondering how on earth I fit it all in, too. Then I remember that sleep is just a waste of time! Also, no, my time machine is only coded to my genetic makeup. You do NOT want to see what happens to someone who attempts to use it...

Seriously though - how do you fit it all in?

Seriously? I only sleep 3-5 hours a night in most cases. For whatever reason, my body responds well enough to that amount, and I use the hours I'm awake (in most cases) to do what I want to do. I work 40 hours a week, I'm taking a full course load at UCF, I workout 4 times a week (usually between 1-2am), I raid Wed/Thur/Mon from 8:30pm-12:30am EST, I'm a husband, a brother, a son, a dog owner (I love my Chihuahuas), I make at least one YouTube video a day (which takes anywhere between 30-60 minutes on average), I stream on Twitch as often as possible (usually 4-5 evenings a week), I tweet throughout the day, I manage my guild by constantly posting in our forum, and.... I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting! It's kinda crazy when you type it all out and take it all in. Maybe I should quit work...

I'm currently doing a number of video challenges to try and make my videos better, and I can't help but notice how your subscription rate has gone through the roof, quadrupling in three months - at the time of writing you're just a touch off 1200 subscribers. Why do you think your channel is so popular?

I just hit 1200 today actually, so THAT was cool to experience! I have no earthly idea why so many people have latched on lately (Reddit helps, though), but I like to think it's the beard. Truly, though, I think a lot of it has to do with my continuous rate of content, and I'm just myself when I talk to the camera. Sure, I call myself Brutall (my real name is Ryan), but I don't try and be someone I'm not. I speak from the heart, I admit my faults (and Static's), and I tell people the truth. I think people respect and appreciate that. Then again, maybe it's just the beard...

One of the things that stands out with your videos is that you are good at delivering a long piece to camera without flaw - the common practice currently is to cut out errors in videos and let the split show, causing the presenter to jump about on screen. Where do you think your ability to talk in such a professional manner has come from?

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that not all my videos are long takes! If you look at some of my earlier videos especially, you'll notice I jump around more than a raider trying to dodge fire! That being said, I've always had a knack for public speaking. I love it! I can stand in front of a crows and deliver a speech on the fly about anything I'm knowledgeable about, as it just comes naturally. That doesn't mean what I say is worth listening to at all times, but I genuinely enjoy delivering content. The beard helps.

In your videos, you almost always have a variety of fascinating looking geeky things hanging on the walls behind you - what's your favourite piece?

My broken clock for sure. When I first started making my videos in September of 2013, people were really confused by it. Some people claim they thought I recorded at the same time every night (lol), and some people demanded I change the batteries. I also love my Yoda bobblehead collection, but you don't ever see that. I should remedy that...

I understand that you've been an MMO fan for a long time, and playing WoW since vanilla. How do you think WoW has changed over the years?

How has WoW changed?! Heck man, it's essentially an entirely different game than it was in November 2004 (when it was released)!!! Raiding has changed not just in size, but in scope. I recall the days of standing in one spot to tank a boss while the healers Decurse everyone and the DPS spam 1-2 buttons. There were very few abilities to manage, and boss abilities to avoid. Compare THAT to Garrosh, the last fight in Siege of Orgrimmar, and it's a night and day comparison. We've seen 16 tiers come and go at this point, and I truly believe the best is yet to come. WoW has changed in plenty of other ways, too. Classes, talents, the introduction of glyphs, flying mounts, and even things as simple as scenarios and LFR. The game is in a much better position in 2014 than it was in 2004. Trust me, I have a beard.

Is there life left in WoW? Or is there a newer, shiner MMO that you've got your eye on?

Oh yeah, plenty of life. As I stated above, I firmly believe that we're going to get the best expansion we've yet to see in Warlords of Draenor. Raiding in particular is going to be given a lot of love with the introduction of Mythic mode, and my goodness, I couldn't be more ecstatic! I said Static! Anyway, WoW isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and while I can't say it'll hold onto its 7,000,000 subscribers over the next expansion, I don't plan on leaving just yet. With that, however, I am keeping my eye on a couple of other MMOs, namely Wildstar and EQ Next. I'm an oooooooold EverQuest player. It holds a special place in my heart.

My fiancee's guild is currently working on Siegecrafter Blackfuse on Heroic - any tips?

This is one of the few final fights in Siege of Orgrimmar that isn't totally dependent on CDs. It's all about having a great couple of tanks to control the Shredder, a super awesome conveyer belt team, and dodging fire. I recommend using Hunters and WW Monks for the belt, and stacking the debuff/buff on the tanks in a 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, 7...4, 3, 5, 4, 6, 5, 7, 7 manner. If that made absolutely no sense to you, I recommend you watch the video and ask me for specifics the next night I stream. ;)

How is the fitness regime going - and how long has it been since you went to Taco Bell?

It's going as well as can be expected for someone who has a battery for a heart! I have a condition known as Brugada Syndrome, so I have to be aware of my BPM every time I work out, but I've yet to have anything occur due to its existence. I was at the gym just a few hours ago as a matter of fact, one of the only days I work out during the day. I love lifting, and while I enjoy running, too, I'm awful at it. I suppose I have heavy feet and weak shins, and I get shin splints quite easily. Actually, my right knee is KILLING me this week, so I've had to back off the running more than I wanted to. Oh, and I had Taco Bell three days ago. My boss (who is also a dear friend of mine) purchased it for me because we had to attend a meeting. What a swell guy!

Any special message you want to get over to your fans-to-be? How would you describe yourself?

Hmmmmmm, a special message? I suppose if I were to say anything, it would be to enjoy your life and do what it is you want to do. I've been wanting to do this whole YouTube/Twitch thing for a long time now, but I never saw the point when so many others were already involved with it. Then I stepped back and realized that I had a unique perspective on gaming (as a guild/raid leader), and I figured, "Why not?" I look at the people I work with, and it breaks my heart because so many of them define themselves with their job instead of what their heart longs for. I long for community and to enjoy life for what it's worth. I don't let others dictate my feelings, and I certainly don't settle for mediocrity. My life is mine, and it won't last forever, so if I want to make a lasting impression on this world, I have to do something now. Not next year, not once I graduate college, and not next week - now. The same goes for you.

If you want to write a book - then WRITE it! If you want to learn how to play the piano - then PRACTICE it! If you want to skydive - then DO it! I mean, what are we all waiting for? Quit living life under the pretense that you have to play by the rules. Make your own rules. Within reason, of course. The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have forever to figure out what makes you happy, because you likely already know what makes you happy. Quit making excuses and enjoy yourself, and if you want to do something, then find a way to do it. It may not be easy or quick, but you'll find a way if you want to.

Oh, and I'd describe myself as someone who isn't defined by what others' think is normal or necessary. I know what I want, and by golly, I'm not stopping until I get it.

Brutall, thanks for your time.

You can find Brutall in many places on the net, but principally his YouTube channel is at http://www.youtube.com/BrutallStatic - I would just ask that you watch one video. If you're a WoW player watch a WoW video, if you're not watch one of the others.  I guarantee that you'll be hooked.

One last message - it is Brutall's birthday on February 12th.  What better reason could there be to take a minute to watch his videos, and maybe subscribe to him, and make his day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog