Saturday 19 July 2014

Happy Lucaria!

I'm ambivalent about this morning.

On the one hand, I'm a little rough.  I was out on the town last night, making merry, and today I'm paying for it a little bit.  It's the middle of the morning and I'm still in my pyjamas, waking up.

On the other hand though, it is the weekend, and generally things are pretty good - the Travelling Book Project is doing reasonably well (check it out if you haven't already), I should say thank you to the Watt Club at Heriot-Watt University for publishing an interview about the Travelling Book Project, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some more promotion of the project which I've been working on will develop.  The campaign for the project ends on the 4th of August, so do check out the project before then and if you'd be willing to share the project with your friends, or even support it via the campaign page, it'd be hugely appreciated.

Historical note of the day: July 19th is the first day of Lucaria, a festival of the grove held on July 19th and July 21st by ancient Romans.  Unfortunately little information about Lucaria survives, and indeed even in the latter years of the Roman Empire knowledge of the festival had faded.  It is possibly a celebration of a battle between Romans and the Gauls, where a group of surviving Romans hid in a grove, or it may have originated earlier as a way of regaining the favour of gods and spirits when forests were cleared.

At any rate, to celebrate, here's a photo with a tree in it.

Apparently it's somewhere near the British Trust for Ornithology.

Happy Lucaria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog