Monday 21 July 2014

Markets


I quite like a market.  At a market you can often get some cheap goods, perhaps with slightly questionable logos (anyone else own a pair of "Adibas" or "Mike" trainers?), but nevertheless inexpensive.

Now, I don't know if this is a international phenomenon, but the markets near me tend to have a particular feature for one type of seller.  See if you can spot it.

People with fruit market stalls will shout their deals out.
People with vegetable market stalls will shout their deals out.
People selling meat meanwhile... have a microphone and speakers.

I don't know why meat sellers at markets get to have a microphone and get to blare over the entire market "I'M NOT GOING TO SELL YOU THIS LEG OF LAMB FOR TWENTY POUNDS, I'M NOT GOING TO SELL YOU IT FOR TEN POUNDS, I'M GOING TO SELL YOU IT FOR FIVE POUNDS AND THROW IN FOUR PORK CHOPS!!!", but they do.

And they don't even just use it to advertise their goods.  Whole conversations go on over the microphone.

"BAG OF BACON TWO QUID... HELLO LOVE, WHAT'S YOUR FANCY?  A POUND OF SAUSAGES?  HERE YOU GO, I'VE THROWN A PACK OF BREAD ROLLS IN FOR YOU TOO, NO CHARGE, ONLY SLIGHTLY MOLDY. THAT'LL BE EIGHT QUID."

And if they aren't getting enough custom, they'll pick you out as you walk past.

"MORNING MATE MORNING!!! HOW YOU DOING?  GOOD, YEAH ME TOO.  FANCY SOME STEAK?  NINE QUID FOR A LOVELY PIECE. NO?  SEVEN QUID.  OKAY SIX, BUT I'M ROBBING MESELF HERE.  YOU'RE VEGETARIAN?!? WELL DON'T WALK PAST A MEAT STALL THEN! GO AND WALK THE LONG WAY ROUND AND PRETEND TO LOOK AT THE ANTIQUES AS THOUGH YOU KNOW SUMMAT ABOUT THEM!"

It's enough to make you want to stay at home.

Quick update on the Travelling Book project - funding is now up to £135, which is great, I've had some brilliant support from various places, I've now bought a domain name (for about £2.50!) - www.travellingbook.eu currently takes you to the campaign page, but the plan is that, should funds allow, I'll have an actual website set up here that people can visit to keep track of books.  We're one third of the way through the funding round, which finishes on the 4th of August, as always I would really love people to check out the campaign, share it with your friends, and if you'd like to support the campaign, do head over to the campaign page and anything is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an international phenomenon, at least happens in my country but we cant do anything about it.

    Im new in this english blogger community so i hope we can be good friends.

    ReplyDelete

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog